Browsed by
Tag: work permit

When can I start?

When can I start?

If you are an international student and you want to study in Ontario, you must have enough money to live and pay bills while studying. You are also able to work while studying. If you plan on working temporarily in Ontario, you will need a work permit. You can apply for the work permit before coming to Canada as well as inside the country.

Once you received your documents that allow you to work you need to do 3 important steps: 

  1. Every country has its own resume standards. No matter from which country you are, your resume HAS to be made in a Canadian way. From my own experience, I can tell you that it is very, very, very important! Here you can find some tips how to create your Canadian-style resume.
  2. Indeed and Job Bank are the most popular websites to find a job. You can start applying before arriving in Canada. By the way, recommendations are extremely important for employers. When I arrived I didn’t have any recommendations at all. I was applying everywhere and then I got the chance. I was working very hard to impress my manager. When I was interviewed for a position at Marriott hotel, the HR manager called all my previous employers for recommendations.
  3. You got the job… Congratulations!!! But…. You have to open a bank account for direct deposit and apply for SIN number. You won’t be able to start working without Social Insurance Number.  To get this number you need only your passport and study/work permit. Service Canada will help you with all documents.

I know it will be very hard, but never give up, never be discourage. You just need one lucky break. Be confident, be persistent, and work very hard for your name!